SM Broadcast: The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), the body empowered to meet the yearnings of Nigerians for stable, adequate and safe electricity supply, has taken the bull by the horn by releasing to the public, the rights of every electricity consumer.
Read the rights below:
1. All new electricity connections must be done strictly on the basis of metering before connection. That is, no new customer should be connected without meter first being installed.
2. A customer who elects to procure meter under the Credited Advance Payment for Metering Implementation (CAPMI) Scheme must be metered within 60 days, after which the customer will neither be billed nor disconnected by the electricity distribution company.
3. It is the customer’s right to transparent electricity billing. Unmetred customers should be issued with electricity bills strictly based on NERC’s estimated billing methodology.
4. It is the customer’s right to be notified in writing ahead of disconnection of electricity service by the electricity distribution company serving the customer in line with NERC’s guidelines.
5. It is the customer’s right to prompt investigation of complaints arising from the customer’s electricity service disruption
6. It is not the responsibility of electricity customer or community to buy, replace or repair electricity transformers, poles and related equipment used in supply of electricity.
7. It is the customer’s right to contest any electricity bill. Any unmetred customer who is disputing his or her estimated bill has the right not to pay the disputed bill, but pay only the last undisputed bill as the contested bill go through the dispute resolution process of NERC.
8. All complaints on your electricity supply and other billing issues are to be sent to your nearest business unit of the electricity company serving your premises. If your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, you can forward your complaint to the NERC Forum Office within the coverage area of your electricity distribution company. Customers also have the right to appeal the decision of the forum at the NERC headquarters in Abuja.
Log into: www.nercng.org for more details or contact:
NERC ZONAL OFFICE CONTACTS:
08164201445 Joseph John southwest; 08130363581 Tony Ray Ene South South; 08062219714 Ekeh Samuel Chukwuemeka Southeast;
07061117416 Hassan GWANDU north west;
07061097132 Mohammed Umar fufore North East;
07036948408 Friday Sule North Central.
Please share this information and help us protect your rights. However,note that you have an obligation to pay your valid electric bills,avoid meter by-pass or stealing of electricity and protect power infrastructure from being vandalized.
Together,by doing our part, we can get the power sector we all desired.
Do you see the silver lining?
Nigerian Robotics Engineer Develops CET Drone to Detect Kidnappers, Terrorists’ Hideouts
A Nigerian Robotic Engineer, Dr. Olusola Ayoola has developed Carbon Emission Tracker (CET) Drone for aerial surveillance in detecting hideouts…
Nigerians make 46 out of 97 Harvard medical graduands, setting educational tourism record
Despite the negative headlines generated by some elements on Nigeria recently, there are still some very good reasons for the…
Nigerian Woman Refunds N38m Erroneously Paid By A Chinese Firm
A Nigerian woman, Sola Ismail, has further raised the integrity of her country after she refunded N38 million to a…
Nigerian Professor gets Vice Chancellor Appointment in UK University
A Nigerian Professor, Charles Egbu, has been appointed Vice-Chancellor of Leeds Trinity University in the United Kingdom. According to a…
Congratulations! You Made It!
It’s over. 2020 is finally over. And you were able to make it through the end. It was a year…
Pro Roller-Skater Tinuke’s Orbit breaks two new records for GWR Day 2020
Professional roller skater Tinuke’s Orbit (aka Tinuke Oyediran, UK) has broken the record for most cartwheels on roller skates in…
Lesson from the Eagle and the Crow
The only bird that dares to peck an eagle is the crow. It sits on its back and bites into…